Completed Events

February 2017

The 11th and 12th of February saw us at the BFFI (Staffordshire County Showground).  A fantastic two days of fundraising and fellowship….. not just fun, as we had some of the guys helping out on the stand.

Regional get together at Ladybower Fisheries on the 24th.

Planning for regional get togethers during March, we’ve got six plus a fundraising diner in Kent so it’s going to be a busy time.

January 2017

A new year starts with a regional get together at the Thrunton Long Crag fishery in Northumberland. A really good turnout and although the forecast was looking pretty threatening we had a glorious day with sun shining, fish in the nets and smiles all around.

January is the time when we plan our year ahead, scheduling in regional get togethers and shows. With over 35 regional get togethers planned for this year and three new fisheries hosting for us there’s plenty to keep us busy.

December 2016

December and January tend to be quieter months with regards to events as the weather starts to set in and standing all day on a bank for a lot of the guys becomes more uncomfortable.


November 2016

The 4th, 5th and 6th saw us down at the Detling showground for the Kent Xmas Craft Fair.  Three days of fundraising with a great team , thanks to Will Izzard (our south east regional coordinator), Danielle, Patsy and everyone from the Maidstone and Sittingbourne areas who donated prizes for the tombola….. never seen so many teddies!!!.

The 11th saw us back at Lakedown for the final regional get together of 2016.  The weather stayed kind and fish were in the bag.  Thanks to Ian Thompson, Norman and Cathy for their great hospitality, it really helps to make the day even more special.


October 2016

The 1st and 2nd  were spent fundraising at Flyfest in Penrith.  Two days of raising funds and meeting both old and new supporters, thanks to all.

The 16th saw us at the Uttoxeter Fly fair at Uttoxeter racecourse.  A really busy show with lots of supporters around the stand all day.

On the 21st we were down at Bellbrook Valley Trout Fishery for our South West regional get together, brilliant day with the weather being kind and fish on lines. Thanks to Pete Tyas for making these days at Bellbrook so enjoyable for everyone who attends.

The 23rd saw us at the other end of the country at Thrunton Long Crag (Northumberland) for our North East regional get together.  Smiles all round with everyone into fish. Thank to Lucy Bowden, Andy, Jill and Chris as always.

The 28th saw us at Ladybower Reservoir for our Midlands regional get together. Thanks to John Blewit, Geoff Smith and his team at Ladybower for helping to make this a fantastic day for all who came along.


September 2016

The 2nd saw us at Lakedown fishery in East Sussex.  A brilliant day fishing for everyone there with smiles all round.

The 17th and 18th saw us at the Midland Game Fair in Shropshire.  Always a good show and thank you to so many of you that came along and supported us there.


August 2016

The 3rd and 4th of August saw us fundraising at the Bakewell show in Derbyshire.

The 13th and 14th at the Lowther show and the 27th, 28th and 29th at the Evesham Angling Festival.

The 20th saw us at Thrunton Long Crag in Northumberland for a brilliant regional get together.



July 2016

The beginning of July once again saw us on the river Deveron in Aberdeenshire.  A week of pure heaven in the highlands thanks to Rosie,Mike, Mr Morrison and Frank Henderson of Turriff tackle.

Thanks to Col,ret Keith Fisher and the Barton Stacey Fly Fishing Club, we had two fantastic days on the rivers Test and Dever..

June 2016

On the 3rd June we held a regional get together at Lakedown Fishery in East Sussex, a brilliant day and always good to see the smiles of people when they catch their first fish on a fly.

On the 11th June we held a fundraiser at Ladybower Reservoir fishery.  With 40 anglers taking part, made up from boat, bank and tube fishing, we raised just over £3500.  A large part of this was down to a successful auction at the Ladybower Inn afterwards.  A massive thank you to Geoff and his team at Ladybower and also to Shaun from the Ladybower Inn who sponsored the catering and hosted the auction.

The 17th June saw us back down at Bellbrook Valley Fishery in Devon. Another fantastic day, so good to see people improving their techniques, their sense of satisfaction and overall sense of achievement.

The 24th June will see our next regional get together at Ladybower for all those beneficiaries from the Midlands having a great day on the water with the assistance of John Blewitt.

The 24th also saw a fantastic event held at Orvis in Bakewell as part of their 10th anniversary, a pie and peas night to help raise money for FfH

May 2016

A fantastic day at Thrunton Long Crag Fishery. Lucy Bowden and Andy Richmond together with 49 anglers  raised in excess of  £6000 !!!

This is Lucy’s fourth event held annually raising over £20,000 for Fishing for Heroes.


April 2016

Meon Country Experience weekend in Hampshire, a very wet and windy weekend.

A  regional get together at Bellbrook Valley fishery with Pete Tyas of the Devon School of Flyfishing for 12 beneficiaries.

A regional get together at Thrunton Long Crag fishery for 14 beneficiaries with Lucy Bowden.


March 2016

March started off with a get together for 16 beneficiaries at the picturesque fishery at Bellbrook Valley. Bellbrook is an old favourite of Fishing for Heroes, one even managed to win a Troutmaster badge with a 12.5lber.

Another trip back up north to Thrunton Long Crag Fishery with 8 beneficiaries and Lucy Bowden.

We attended the inaugural fly fishing show at Tutbury Castle, a brilliant day for those who came along, raising much needed funds.

Two days at the Countryman Fairs show at Kelmarsh…. windy and wet.

All new rod licences for beneficiaries……. lots of happy faces.

February 2016

A brilliant regional get together at Thrunton Long Crag Fishery in Northumberland, attended by 14 beneficiaries from the North East and Lucy Bowden.

The BFFI was again well attended with fantastic support and amazing contacts helping us to raise funds.

Our first regional get together at Ladybower Reservoir, a superb day with John Blewitt attended by 9 beneficiaries of whom none could get over the beauty and tranquility of this new venue.


January 2016

A brilliant start to the year with a regional get together at Lakedown fishery in East Sussex, a fantastic day’s spent with Chris Reeves as instructor….. even Roger Dawltry has been to say hello and spend time with the beneficiaries.

A regional get together at Bellbrook Valley Fishery with Chris Reeves as instructor.

A regional get together at Thrunton Long Crag Fishery with Lucy Bowden as instructor.


2015 Evesham Angling Festival

Probably one of our best show venues with only 30-40 stands there and over 40,000 people through the gates. Unfortunately the weather wasn’t so kind for the last 2 days.

2015 Midland Game Fair

Another good show at the Midland this year with a prime spot next to the main arena

2015 Lowther Show

Well attended, our hoodies went down really well.


2015 Bakewell Show

This was the first time we had attended the Bakewell. A fantastic couple of days with lots of support and the weather was kind.

The 2015 CLA

This year brought a few changes to the CLA fishing village which hopefully secure the future of this fantastic event.  This year we had up to 7 helping on the stand which proved to make this another successful fiundraising weekend.

Fundraiser at Thrunton Long Crag 2015

Yet another fantastic day at Thrunton organised by Lucy Bowden. This is the 3rd annual event which Lucy has organised and each year they get bigger and better.  This year was no exception with 49 Anglers taking to the banks to help raise funds for Fishing for Heroes. We had a brilliant raffle an auction with some fantastic lots to be had.

By the end of the day we raised in excess of £5000 !!!



The FinalistsNational Stillwater Championships 2013

Over £17,000 raised.

This year saw a fantastic and unprecedented growth in the number of people taking part in the heats around the country.

 As well as some great fishing and fundraising, lunches, raffles and BBQ’s were organised with all the heats who took part really pulling out the stops, making it a really good day for all those who took part.

A special mention has got to go to Chew Valley who had 46 competitors taking part in their heat and who raised almost £3300 !!!

The finals were held at Dever Spring in Hampshire on November 24th and once again put on a brilliant day for everyone there.  The fishing was exciting with fish being landed throughout the day.  At 4pm, after 6 hours of fishing and a break for a hearty lunch, the weigh in was called…….


The defending champion Martyn Williams retained his tittle with a bag weight of 29lb 1oz, winning a Hardy Zenith rod and the Bernard Cribbins Trophy.

2nd place went to John Tait with a bag weight of 21lb 5oz, winning him a Hardy Jet rod.

3rd place went to Graham Witt with a bag weight of 21lb 4oz winning him a Hardy reel which he has since auctioned on ebay with all proceeds donated to the charity. (Thanks Graham)

The biggest fish of the day went to Martyn Williams with a weight of 13lb 9oz. Martyn won the Biggest Fish silver platter but graciously passed on the Hardy Game Bag onto Ken Pearce who had the second largest fish weighing in at 8lb 5oz.

Marytn Williams 1st place

John Tate 2nd placeGraham Witt 3rd place

A Fantastic day at Chatton Trout Fishery in Northumberland

On Saturday the 27th April we had a fantastic day at Chatton Trout Fishery, Northumberland. The day was organised by Lucy Bowden who worked tirelessly to make the day such a success.   40 anglers took part in a fishing competition, all having paid £25 which included 4 hours fishing and a superb hog roast. To finish the day off we held an auction which was run by Sherod Walker and no one was safe from being harassed into placing bids!  Thank you to everyone who donated auction lots, it was very much appreciated.  Following the auction was a raffle with some very nice prizes all of which had been kindly donated.

Congratulations go to Trevor Wadds who took  1st Place and who was presented with a Barbour Featherweight Jacket worth £299,  Andy Richmond took 2nd Place and was presented with a Hardy CLS5000 reel worth £199 and Charles Cervantes who took 3rd place and  was presented with a bottle of Bowmore Malt Whiskey and a days fishing at Chatton.

From left to right: Lucy Bowden, Andy Richmond, Trevor Wadds, Charles Cervantes and Paul West of Fishing for Heroes.

A massive thank you must go to our sponsors for the day:

Barbour who made a very generous donation and also donated a Barbour Featherweight Jacket as first prize.

Hardy & Greys who donated a superb CLS 5000 Reel worth £199 for second prize.

To Roger and Ali at Chatton trout Fishery for hosting such a great day – we’ll certainly be back for more.

To Lucy who must have put in an awful amount of time organising the day.

And finally, thank you to everyone who contributed to making this day so memorable and successful with a figure of £3416 being raised.

A Days Fishing with The Masonic Trout and Salmon Fly Fishing Charity

 On the 6th of April  we had a fantastic day at Bellbrook Valley fishery in Devon, kindly hosted by the MTSFC. We had 7 veterans who didn’t need to be asked twice as soon as this was mentioned to them.  Most of the chaps had previously fished there with Tom during their courses so they knew  the beautiful surroundings and the great hospitality they could expect.  The day was also attended by some of the chaps from BLESMA.

The weather was against us, with bright sunshine the fish weren’t playing and the fishing was hard, but the camaraderie was on top form and the fact that fish weren’t being landed didn’t seem to matter.

There were plenty of Masonic casting helpers to hand, so everyone had someone with them to to give a helping hand and advise when needed, friendships were formed and in one case an old frienship reunited.

We will be doing more with the MTSFC in the future, and look forward to many more days out with them.

Return to Wherewell

Following another kind invitation from Robert at Sarasin and Partners to fish the Test for Grayling there was no problem filling the space for one person. The first phone call resulted in “very sorry but I have to go to hospital for some tests on that day” (hope everything went well Mike) to what time do you want me there. So arrangements made for the following Monday it was a case of hope we did not get too much rain in the intervening days. Checking the web cam at Whitchurch on the Sat evening showed that the river had come up about 3 cms but by the following afternoon it had dropped back and with little rain forecast for the remaining 24 hours the prospects looked fair. The river would still be carrying a fair amount of water but should be clear and fishable.

Following breakfast at a roadside cafe we proceeded to the meeting place by the river. Upon arrival it was apparent that the area was indeed very wet and it was with a little concern that we walked the short distance to the river. High and running through quite fast but clear and without doubt fishable although as a first introduction for Kevin to winter Grayling fishing conditions could have been kinder.  For those who have little experience of fishing for grayling it needs to be understood that the fish tend to only feed either on the top or very close to the bottom. After many years of watching their behaviour in the clear waters of a chalk stream it soon became apparent that a sub surface fly swum a foot over their heads would elicit very little response from them. Get the fly down and close to the bottom/fish is very much the order of the day. With a river running quite fast this means that the nymphs need to carry a fair amount of weight, either in the form of lead under body or beads which are usually tungsten (expensive) or a combination of both. This in turn leads to issues with casting as a heavy fly and fairly light line coupled to a longish leader can cause problems in casting, presentation and turnover. With this in mind the chosen rod was a mid actioned 4# of ten feet. This allows for better line control, slows down casting and allows us to stand well back from the water, thus hopefully spooking fewer fish. The section we were to fish had very few overhanging trees and so length of rod was not an issue. Onto the fly line went a furled sight indicator leader to which was attached 10ft of fluorocarbon tapered leader culminating in a tippet of 3lbs breaking strain. Choice of fly was a bead head, leaded pheasant tail nymph size 14. Following a quick demonstration on the main river we proceeded to one of the “carriers” as this was much shallower and would allow the use of lighter nymphs.

Walking downstream to our starting point with the sun behind us caused us to “spook” every fish in that section so upon our arrival at the bottom of the beat it was a case of wait until things had settled down. This time was spent in getting Kevin to get into the swing of casting, keeping pace with the progress of the nymph back towards him, roll cast it out and then overhead cast to present the fly again. After repeating this quite a few times and getting into the rhythm of what he was attempting to achieve to my surprise he hooked a fish (we had been stood close to the water with the sun behind repeatedly casting and retrieving, not really trying to catch fish but master the technique). Unfortunately the little *** came of. The first fish of a session is always important as once taken it tends to take the pressure of both student and teacher. After a few botheration, bless my souls had been muttered it was now time to fish in earnest.

Starting at the bottom of the beat we proceeded up the river, casting and fishing the areas I had noted fish had moved out of as we spooked them on our way down. A few takes were missed but in one run a number were not recognised until too late and the fish were missed. I felt that the fly was just a little too heavy for the depth so a change to a pink shrimp (why pink works so well for Grayling I do not know but it does). A couple of casts later and Kevin was into his first ever Grayling. Prayers were silently muttered and soon the fish was in the net, Kevin had a grin that split his face and the pressure to produce fish was now off me. Although not massive, about 10 oz it was our intended quarry. Job done. After a break of a few minutes a few fish were observed taking fly off the top, not many but enough to make us think about fishing a dry fly. Whilst changing over to fish on top Kevin asked what I was putting on, the reply came “its one of mine called Mr Fluffy”. This fly is tied mainly using CDC (hence the name) what it represents I do not know but as a “puller” of fish works extremely well. Whilst I was tying it on I remarked that when I try “dry fly” in the winter it usually starts to rain. Sure enough within about 6 casts the rain started. Fortunately it did not last long and as we proceeded up the river I managed a 12oz wild brown (demonstrating what Kevin would have to do). After about another 10 minutes and with no more sign of rising fish we moved back up to the main river. There were a couple of areas that always seem to produce “hatches” and therefore rising fish if any are to show on this section.

The first area had a couple of fish rising but Hawthorn bushes come very close to the river and make casting more than a little difficult. I think it was the third back cast that threw fly leader and line into the bushes so following some “explicit” language we moved on up to the second section with clear back cast room. On this section of the river it changes course and is also quite a lot deeper. With no sign of rising fish it was back on the nymph. We started off quite heavy due to the depth and the need to get the fly down, then got heavier and then heavier still. Any more weight in the fly would make casting somewhat difficult and as we were only very occasionally touching bottom with the fly it was obvious that more weight was needed. Fortunately, it was at this point the wind dropped, the sun came out, the day softened and a few fish started to rise. Back on the dry. With only half an hour before we were due back for lunch the pressure was on. Kevin soon got into the swing of fishing the dry fly but not being quite sure all the time where his fly was 3 rises were missed. With only a couple of minutes to go before lunch he decided to have a smoke so I took the rod for a few casts and managed to hook an out of season brown that had been rising just of the far bank. We now walked back to the lodge for lunch. As we did so the day warmed up even more and more fish started to move.

Whilst I chatted to our host Kevin made the coffee.  The barbeque that had been organised looked impressive as usual but my thoughts were with the river. The wind had dropped and the sun was now warm, I knew that this would be our best chance of getting fish on the dries. Are you going to have some lunch Kevin was met with “no thanks I don’t usually eat lunch”. I normally do but with the prospect of missing the best of the day merely eating we bid farewell to our host and with haste made our way back up to were we had left off. Whilst walking up the wind did not materialise and settling down at the bottom of the section a number of fish were observed rising. Time for some sport. Within the first couple of casts the wind picked up in strength, the day turned markedly colder and all surface activity ceased. *** it. Give it a few minutes to see if things settle down. After a short period the wind eased from blowing strongly upstream, a few fly started to come off and some fish started to move. On about the fifth or sixth cast a fish rose and took the fly I screamed strike and Kevin did nothing. His explanation was that he didn’t think the fly had been taken. The wind then picked up again so we waited and waited and waited. When it appeared that the wind was not going to drop them I cut off the dry and started to tie on a nymph, it was at this stage that the wind dropped and immediately fish started to rise, one directly in front of us. Back to the dry I had just cut off. Before the first cast was made the wind picked up again and all activity ceased. The only option was to wait which was what we did.

After what seemed like an eternity the wind dropped fish started to rise and Kevin rose another fish. With me screaming like a demented banshee he again failed to strike and again explained that he thought the fish had not taken the fly. I then explained quite graphically how uncomfortable it would be driving home with a four piece 10ft 4# rod plus Orvis reel inserted forcefully. Having know Kevin for a number of years he knew that I was only joking (yeah right, dream on bud). The remainder of the afternoon was spent waiting for the wind to drop and in the short lulls casting to rising fish. Some more fish were caught. Kevin was now striking without question every time I told him to and succeeding. One fish being a very nice out of season brown of about 3lbs.

All too soon the time passed and at about 3.30pm the temperature dropped markedly and all surface activity ceased immediately. It was time to pack up. The walk back to the lodge gave us both time to reflect on the day. As an introduction to winter river fishing Kevin had done very well indeed. He had fished a water that is only really available to a limited few (cost) and had taken away another angling experience and caught his first Grayling. I am sure that in the future he will look back on his day with fond memories. I know I will. As a full time instructor I tend to take days like this for granted but the days out with the guys from Fishing for Heroes and other peoples generosity are always that little bit special.

Tom Hill

Palm Springs pre Christmas Fish by Tom Hill

Each year prior to Christmas we try to bring some of the people who have attended courses during the year together. The meeting this year was as last at Palm Springs in Leicestershire (oh good another  5hr drive). What made things even better was that as I drove up from sunny ??Devon the M6 had turned into a car park. Eventually I arrived at the B&B and settled in for the night. In the morning after a hearty Breakfast I cleared the ice off the car and drove to the fishery. Everything fine so far. Passing the first lake I was concerned to see a coating of ice on the water. My thoughts immediately went to how we would clear any ice on the fishing lake (a rope, volunteer called Paul and Tony’s Range Rover sprang to mind) but to my relief it was ice free and there were fish moving on top.  One of the guys was already there and soon everybody that could come had arrived and very soon the insults were flying thick and fast mostly in my direction. The temperature was extremely low and everyone was donning all the clothing that they had except for one. He came from Newcastle and was in serious danger of breaking into a sweat. He was also the one who commented that Tony had promised a good instructor so what was I doing there (comment noted Lofty). Whilst tackling up Tony gave us his impression of a rather bad downhill skier as he slipped on the frosty sloping bank and slid a few feet towards the water. Everyone held there breath, not concerned that he might have injured himself but to see if he was actually going to take to the lake. To everyone’s relief he managed to stay dry. We were all so pleased and did not laugh at all.

After getting everyone sorted out with kit and some rudimentary (that’s about all I can manage) casting instruction it was down to the fishing. Now Ken had a go at sliding majestically down the slope but instead of imitating a lifeboat launching down the slipway he landed like the proverbial sack of whatever. As he was by far the most aged of our party (have not forgotten Lechlade Ken) my concern was not that he might have injured himself but that he was carrying my limited edition Bruce and Walker  The rod was Ok and Ken managed to get to his feet without assistance. So now back to the fishing. Plenty of fish were showing on top but despite the many and varied flies/lures thrown at them nothing seemed to work. All of a sudden Chris was into a fish, which he duly landed having been informed by our esteemed President whilst playing it that it was not very big. When banked it proved to be the best fish of the day about 15lbs. Things continued to remain quiet for a while and a break and coffee were suggested. I went off to put the kettle on whilst the others fished. After about 45 mins the damned thing came to the boil and I made coffee. Tony and Paul were the last to stop fishing and while we were watching Tony hooked a fish over 10lbs. Despite vigorous attempts by Paul to knock it off it was landed. Tony arrived at the hut beaming whilst everyone else assumed an air of complete surprise not having realised that he had taken a fish. He went off and returned with some food (sandwiches and very twee fancy cakes). These were placed in front of Lofty, big mistake. There is only one conclusion when you put a tray of dainty cakes in front of a 6ft 4in Geordie. WE ate the sandwiches.

Whilst there I had a chat with Mark who had travelled down with Lofty. He will I hope be coming on a course soon and is hoping to complete his ADB Game qualification next year. Although we had not met before he explained that Lofty had told him about me and what he had experienced on his course. This confused and surprised me as he still wants to come so God Knows what he has been said. We then returned to the fishing. Fish came in fits and starts, the sun was out and no one else had fallen in. The stop for lunch was a little late, Lofty finished his frontal assault on the buns and then turned his attention the sarnies. The kettle eventually came to the boil and we lounged around chatting/insulting each other and taking the mickey (I have to say this but we all know what I mean). Following lunch we continued our assault on the fish. Tony took another, explaining that he had hooked it whilst hanging the fly before recasting. This means putting the rod butt under his arm to light a cigar and then lifting into a fish as the rod is wrenched from him. A little later Paul changed to a wiggly worm (I kid you not) and promptly demonstrated a completely new style of casting (more akin to the action of a man on stilts who has drunk far too much trying to tap dance . The fly?? was so bulky that he had no chance of casting it with the kit he was using but this did not stop him trying. It did not last long on the leader but it gave us all a certain amount of amusement.  Other fish were caught during the afternoon but it was all too soon time to pack up. All the guys went away with a Salmon each, although cold the weather had been bright and a group of mates had gone fishing together. Spot on. Great, I’ve now got a 5hr drive home (well worth it).

Summer Ball

This year the Summer Ball held at Derbyshire Criket Ground raised a fantastic £7500.

What is now held as an annual event is organised by a local Derby family who very sadly lost a brother during the Falklands conflict. The total amount raised on the night was £15000 which is shared equally between Fishing For Heroes and Help For Heroes. A great time was had by all who attended and Jan Spacey even managed to acquire a new pushbike from the auction……. Yours is coming next year Tony !!

Dever Springs wins the fishery of the year award

On Saturday 26.11.11 Dever Springs Trout Fishery was awarded the prestigious award of fishery of the year. This award is given to the fishery that is most supportive of the charity throughout the year


The 2011 UK Stillwater Championship Finals

We had a fantastic day at Lechlade for this years UK Stillwater Championship finals.

A brilliant climax to a national event that has raised over £15,000 for the Charity.

We had 15 finalists fishing, and it made a brilliant finale to this year’s programme. With the overall standard of angling extremely high (including 4 internationals) the tough fishing conditions made it a challenging day, but John Goodwin (with that winning fish) came through on the last peg to take the trophy. Johnny Green came a close second, Joan Russell third  and Neil Deakin fourth.

A massive thank you to all the fisheries who hosted events throughout the year and in particular to all those who took part and raised sponsorship for the charity.

A huge thank you in particular has to go to Capt Tony Spacey (standing in the background) who gave up his time in organising the Uk Stillwater Championships as he has done in previous years.

Rotherham College and Wales&Kiveton Park Colliery Angling Club

A HUGE thank you goes out to Rotherham College and the Kiveton Park Colliery Angling Club for all their support and help. They made a fantasic donation of £500 which was raised from an annual fishing match in honour and memory of a former member.

Summer season of Game and Country Fairs

Through the summer we have made an appearance at many of the Game and country fairs around the country, and it is pleasing to see that our name is becoming more and more widely recognised by people around the country. This increased recognition means that people are more likely to support the work we are doing with both financial donations and offers of help and support.

We have to give a huge “thank you” to all those who have helped out at these fairs and shows, including the boys in uniform, without whom they would have been no where near as sucessful as they have been.

The Game and Country fairs have been a great sucess and the monies raised from these has been one of the financial mainstays that has meant that we can help and support so many veterans and serving personnel.

We do cover a large proportion of the country with these shows, but we have just recently appeared in kent, an area which previously had not been widely visited. After 3 days at the Rural Craft Assoc show at the kent pavillion not only did we raise substantial funds but also offers of help and support. As a result through Will Izzard ( our new regional organiser in Kent) there are going to be a series of carp fishing matches to help us raise not just monies but also our profile. Anyone wanting to take part in any of these matches  can find Will’s details on our regional fundraiser’s page.

The record attempt in progress

The CLA Game Fair, World Casting Record

During the CLA game fair22-24 July 2011  Fishing for Heroes in supported by Hardy and Greys set a new world record for distance casting.  A team of six casters comprising of three members from Hardy and Greys Academy and three instructors from Fishing for Heroes cast continually for six hours a day making a total of 14,146 casts to achieve a total distance of 141 mile 809.05 yards.  The team consisted of Tony Spacey, Tom Hill, Scott Simmonds from Fishing for Heroes and Steve Peterson, Howard Croxall Stevie Munn from Hardy and Greys Academy.  The number of casts and distance was independently verified by the Game Angling Instructors Association.

2010 UK Stillwater Fly Fishing Championship

During 2010 a series of regional fly fishing competitions was held at the following fisheries Cumbria, Bessy Beck Fishery;  Devon, Bellbrook Fishery, Hampshire, Dever Springs; leicestershire, Eyebrook Reservoir; Lincolshire, Toft Newton; Staffordshire, Blythfield Reservoir; Yorkshire, Wykeham Lakes, West Sussex, Chalk Springs. all together over 200 anglers took part and raised over £17,000. The final was held at Lechlade Trout Fishery Gloucestershire in November. The event was attended by Bernard Cribbins and Charles Jardine along with the 20 finalists. The event was won by Kevin Stoltze.

The Arundell Arms, Charity Auction Dinner 21 May 2011

Adam Fox-Edwards, the proprieter of the Arundell Arms, A renowned first class fishing hotel in Devon kindly hosted a charity auction dinner in his hotel that coincided with the final day of the wild trout festival. Around 60 keen fishermen and patrons of the charity attended the evening raising much needed funds for the charity.

The Catterick Dinner, Sat 14 May 2011

LT Col Best, Commanding Officer of The Queen’s Royal Lancers kindly allowed the charity to hold a dinner and auction in his Officers’ Mess in Cambrai Barracks in Catterick Garrison.  A truly unique and one off event, never again will the charity have the opportunity to hold a dinner in such a historic and oppulent location.